Kuva Kuva

Register a BJ42 as museum

General chat

Valvoja: Käyttäjä

pedrocalima

Register a BJ42 as museum

Viesti Kirjoittaja pedrocalima »

Terve,

My finnish skils end on the greeting so I will continue in english.

I have a BJ42 1983 that in my eyes is quite original. All the mods that were done by the previous owner can be undone.
Today that is my only car and soon I will need a farmari for the family.
I wish to register the Toyota as museum (today it is a pakettiauto) so I could keep it as I like it a lot and don't want to sell it.
I had once a BMW e21 museum registered but I was not the one that changed the car to museum.
Could someone here help me?
Is there anyone that knows the requirements? Is there anyone I can show the car that could tell me if there is nay chance I could do it?

Thank you all.
vartiainen

Viesti Kirjoittaja vartiainen »

Hello, welcome to SLCK forum.
You can always contact Trafi officials via any MOT inspection offices around (K1, A-Katsastus or so), to find out proper requirements.
Check out http://www.sahk.fi/index.php , it is the closest one of associations to help you with making your Toyota museum registered.
There are some museum registered BJ4x:s on this forum also so wait a while, they might wake up to reply.
kenni_

Viesti Kirjoittaja kenni_ »

Well the first and basicly the only thing you need to do is to restore the car in fully stock condition using only original parts, or parts that looks like original.
Then take it for museum inspection. They are really strict in the inspection about originality.
pedrocalima

Thanks for the info,

So I don't need to know the history of the car, it doesn't matter it's registered as pakettiauto now, etc.
What matters is that is looks very much like the day it left the shop right?

Is there any way of having the car checked before going to the museum inspection? Or the only way is trying and fixing what went wrong? Can I do the museum inspection more than once if the car doesn't pass? Any idea how much it costs?

Thanks again.
vartiainen

Yes You can take it to inspection multiple times and it´ll propably costs inspection fee everytime, but they´ll tell you in first inspection what to do if there is some issues. Just make sure your car is pretty much the same as it was when it rolled out of factory and you´ll be fine. Little details like OEM stickers and original tools, retro tires/wheels and so on will help you too and i think the paintwork should be in original colour chart. You can post a pictures here too (cover the plates if You´re shy :D ) and BJ4x owners here will kindly tell if there is some thing s to fix.

Car history is only relevant if you´re museum registering a car which does not have registration at all.

A friend of mine has 70-something Volvo 142 museum registered, it´s original and nice but nothing like super mint and it passed inspection easily.

http://www.trafi.fi/tieliikenne/rekiste ... isterointi
pedrocalima

In my situation looks like the details might not be the problem, the previous owner unfortunately did some few big changes that I might try to change back.

First he installed a turbo. Easy to take out but he didn't send me the air filter assembly, I would need to find a new old one.

Second I think the installed higher shackles, I would need to find original ones too.

I know there is a Aussie locker in the back. Do I need to take that out??? If yes I don't have the internals of the differential anymore.

The color looks original bur there are signs of rust. Does the car has to be rust free for the inspection?

I have the original split wheels fitted with 7.50R16 tires, I hope that is ok.

Just remembered that I think there is some welding done on the frame near the back of the car...

Here are some pictures (I will try to find summer pictures later):

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/origi ... 3101e1.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/origi ... 5bff3a.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/origi ... bc9a39.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/origi ... 2fcc22.jpg
vartiainen

Well it looks like your leaf springs are sagging a lot so maybe it would be wise to perform a "full tour" on under carriage and replace old springs with new set and at same time rebuild shackles and pins (install greasable ones) with OEM products or equivalent, OME or else.
Also check out rear lights and that extra working light is not original. Well light are minor worry as your biggest challenge is in the engine bay. Rust on the firewall, turbo set, original air filter system missing etc.
I found perfect topic for you to check and follow. It´s about rebuilding a BJ42. You will see the original paint themes too. :D Check it out:

http://www.slck.net/viewtopic.php?t=9398

Kuva
pedrocalima

Thanks for the topic link. That Toyota looks really beautiful!

If I'm not mistaken I saw exactly that car and also the blue one from his signature selling on nettiauto some years ago. I remember the pictures were beautiful and they didn't stay too long online.

I will have lots of work, wondering if that is a viable route for me to take as I don't have neither proper tools nor a garage to work inside.

I also would need some interior trims and parts. Doesn't look like it would be that easy to make it look like new.

Do you think that if I install a full kit from OME it would make me loose points on the inspection as it's not OEM and will make the car a bit higher?
vartiainen

Yeah OME kit will definitely rise your vehicle at least 50mm. I didn´t really think it through, sorry. You could ask Vallilan Takomo ( http://www.vallilantakomo.fi/ ) to fix you springs.

All leaf springs are black, and if they (inspection) don´t measure the height of the vehicle, i know I WOULD certainly cheat here because OME is one of the best to drive. And they have great greasable shackles too.

For interior parts and trim, use eBay or your local Toyota dealer, surprisingly they have a large stock of different old Toyota parts available, even for 80´s cars. Toyota OEM prices might be unbelievable.
I´ve been shopping in eBay USA and succesfully purchased some items from Cool Cruisers of Texas, Cruiserparts, Cruisercorps and CruiserYard. One site worth checking is Ih8mud.
pedrocalima

Thanks for the link. I didn't know these guys. Have you ever used their services? I might drive there today after work to talk about my springs.

I was already set to instal OME the day I would tackle the suspension but know I'm not sure anymore if the idea is to register the car as Museum.

I bought some parts from the Australian Ebay too, it works but I only ised for small parts.

I will start looking again for the air cleaner assembly online. I will try to call the previous owner of my car too to see if he saved it when he installed the turbo.
vartiainen

You can post want-to-buy ad here too, guys in Porvoo have loads of BJ4x stuff there.
Yes my HJ61 used to have Vallila´s springs. But they sagged really bad after 5-6 years and car started to lean to right.
Museum registering is a big thing as a job, rebuilding is not anything you do in just few weeks. In this condition you have a nice BJ42 with turbo and maybe with new suspension it might get even better.
pedrocalima

Did the guys at Vallila made new springs for you or they rework on the old ones we have on our cars already?

What did they do in your case?
vartiainen

If I remember correctly original spring were replaced 2004-2005 to Vallila ones and again 2011 to Toyota OEM load springs. This was done by previous owner but as I live next to him I remember how bad the leaning was. Rear was down and car leaned to right, and it was terrible when someone sat on passenger seat. There was no heavy towing or so involved.
pedrocalima

I was thinking here that if I want to do it myself this restoration is going to take some time so I have two more questions.

First can I take the car out of circulation so I stop paying the road tax and the insurance. What happens when I want to bring the car back to circulation? Is there any problem about if apart that I can not drive the car for the period it's not registered?

Is there any place that someone like me can go and work in my car with tools (welding machines, elevators, paint, etc) that I can pay by period, maybe by month or even hour?
I'm in Helsinki so the place should be not much more than 30 min. drive from here.
MakeG

Viesti Kirjoittaja MakeG »

I,ll answer to that circulation thingy . Yes you can take the car out of circulation and back very easily via the Trafi site. You need to be the owner of the vehicle of course. You just use ýour bank id to prove your identity and then fill in the licence plate number and choose the "Liikennekäytöstäpoisto", and i think thats about it then. Roughly.
That costs you 4 euros and in about a week or so you get the new registration forms via mail. Now they state in one of the text boxes that the vehicle has been taken off the road use. The insurances and taxes stop running right away.
Getting it back to circulation is just as easy and can be done as many times as needed.
My BJ 45 is also currently off the circulation due to a broken clutch. No point paying taxes since i cant use it for the next month or so. :D
Vastaa Viestiin