Kuva Kuva

Volvo 303 axles and Hilux...

Technical issues chat

Valvoja: Käyttäjä

bastian

Volvo 303 axles and Hilux...

Viesti Kirjoittaja bastian »

Moro,

Has somebody ever tried, to put a set of Volvo 303 axles under a Hilux? What is the transmission ratio of those? I think by the measures it should fit quite easy. Most important question, where could I find them? Has somebody a contact adress or Link and maybe a rough estimation what a set could cost? Could be at least a worth a try...

Terveisin,
Bastian
IironSika

Viesti Kirjoittaja IironSika »

Moro vaan!

I have. And not only tried, but put Volvo´s under Hilux. My axles are from C304 and diff+portal ratio is 7.05. Overall ratio with original Hilux transmission and transfer case is somewhere between 60:1 - 70:1. Volvo axle is about 23 cm wider than Hilux axle. Best part is that Volvo´s leaf spring pads are at same distance from each other as Hilux`s.
What actual swap includes, it is not a piece off cake-job, but it can be done. Rear is easy, front is harder. For example i made front spring under. Steering have to be re-done with some other way, original won´t work. Lot´s of work, but i think it is worth it!
You can try to find portals from here: http://www.petrisimolin.com/ThePalsta/d ... ?CAT_ID=24 Ostetaan ja myydään forum.
Heres my Hilux: http://www.petrisimolin.net/gallery/dat ... 0pieni.jpg
bastian

Hey, that doesn't sound too bad! That's also the problem I was thinking about, I guess you have to re-design the steering linkage all by yourself... Could you still use the original steering box? Where is the Diff in the frontaxle, is it in the center or a bit off-center? (preferably to the right side :wink: )
Ähm, I still don't have a big clue about Volvo axles, do you propably have a link about some technical information/descriptions? Well, maybe stupid question, but I guess the axles have both mechanicle full lockers? Lots of questions...

Terveisin,
Bastian
IironSika

Sorry for delay, just came back from SLCK:s trip to Russia. I used steering box from BJ-75. You can not use original box. Front diff is off centered to the passenger side, just like Hilux´s. You have to make front axle spring under because if you don´t, you´ve got same problem with steering, as making SOA to Land Cruisers. It also would have been way too tall for my taste. And when you do it SUA, you have to make some sort of lift springs and also lift engine to fit the axle above springs.
Axles have vacuum operated mechanical lockers.
I don´t have/have seen any information about putting Volvos´s under Hilux. I just bought the axles and started to think about how am i going to fit them there...
But here´s some manuals about Volvo: http://koesters.dk/manuals.htm
And more resent pic: http://www.petrisimolin.net/gallery/dat ... leilla.jpg
IironSika

pyyvama

Viesti Kirjoittaja pyyvama »

Sorry to hijack your topic.

I just wanted to inform Bastian that the guy who waves at you
in the small red Skoda or green BJ-75 is me. Just so that
you don't have to wonder :)

Matti #8 and Päivi #9

P.S. A really nice Hilux!
bastian

Moro,

sorry, was quite busy in the last days :oops: ...

@IironSika
Looks like, you had loads of fun in Russia! I have seen, your 'Lux has license-plates, does it mean, you have brought it like that over Katsastus??? Uskomatonta! But is it still driveable on the road, with such a low gear ratio? Do you still have the original 2.4l D engine?
As it looks right now, I would rather take some Unimog 404S axles, as they are way cheaper than the Volvos. Somehow Volvo axles are incredibly expensive, 1500€ and up... So in the same time I could propably do also a swap to coil springs... But anyway, thats a project for the long winter months, right now I am cutting the bed down to 185cm and build some bumpers and a rollbar. So it doesn't get boring! Btw, will you be at the Teisko-Safari? I would really like to take a closer look to your 'Lux!

@pyyvama
Nice to know, that there is also somebody from around here! Hmm, I haven't seen a green J7 yet in Tampere, or is it a Pickup? Okay, it looks like, there is more then one red Skoda around here :wink: ... But I will keep my eyes wide open now!

Terveisin,
Bastian
pyyvama

Viesti Kirjoittaja pyyvama »

We often drive from northen Teisko to Tampere in the morning and vise versa in the evening. We have often seen you coming the opposite direction. Yes it's a pickup.

Matti & Päivi
SuurSyömäri

Viesti Kirjoittaja SuurSyömäri »

Hi

In Volvo axles there are lockin systems ready. just insert the vacuum hose. Usually you get for 1500 euros one extra axle. And you don´t have to build so much to get "kardans" fit.

"Almost Ex-Wannabe Cruiserist"

SLCK #28
IironSika

My Hilux is katsastettu, but not with Volvo´s. I took it to inspection with original axles and took them off at the same day... But yes, it is driveable on the street, but only if you are NOT in hurry. I can manage to drive over 100 km/h, but comfortable speed is 70-80 km/h and even then RPM is about 3000. But as said, I am not in hurry. :roll: Engine is original 2.4 and so are transmission and transfer case.
What comes to Mogs, the bad thing about them is drivers side diffs. you can´t run them with original toyota case. But yes, they are cheaper. And anything can be done. With Volvos, it took me about 2 weeks to put them under Hilux. And go to Russia for test drive. Whitout testing them att all in Finland... :idea:
Yes, i will TRY to come to Teisko.
Vastaa Viestiin